In medical terms, blackheads are called open comedones, and they are nothing but larger follicles (open pores) than usual.
Follicles are actually some plugs made of dead cells and sebum that blocks the oxidation of melanin (a substance that determines skin colour), becoming black.
Blackheads usually occur in the T-zone of your face (forehead, nose and chin) but there are situations that when they appear on your cheekbones.
And if you are the “lucky” owner of blackheads, you shouldn’t make an appointment at the beauty salon, just try some natural remedies at home. They are extremely effective and zero costs.
Simple & Easy Tricks To Get Rid Of Blackheads:
1. A steam bath once a week:
Steam baths are excellent for skin because they open the pores and clean them thoroughly of all impurities (dead cells and sebum). After a 15 minutes steam bath, blackheads will be more easily extracted, the pores will close, and your skin will be silky smooth.
2. Baking soda facial mask:
Baking soda is a very effective and inexpensive solution both for treating acne and for removing blackheads.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- a few drops of water
- Mix the above ingredients until you get a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the areas with blackheads.
- After 10 minutes rinse your face with lukewarm water, and voila!
- Your face will be silky smooth will fewer blackheads.
- Remember to apply this mask after you’ve de-clogged your pores.
3. Flour and honey mask:
You can make your own strips to remove blackheads.
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 teaspoon of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- Mix the above ingredients and add more water if is needed.
- This mixture should be sticky. Take a square post-it and cut it into 3 strips.
- Apply the “glue” on one side of the strip then stick it on the areas affected by blackheads.
- After 10 minutes, the “glue” should be dry.
- It’s time to remove the strip and you can say farewell to blackheads!
4. Honey and cinnamon facial mask:
This mask will exfoliate the skin gently, will remove any sebum and dead skin that is covering pores and contributes to cell regeneration.
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
Optionally, you can add 1/2 teaspoon of oily vitamin E oil.
- Mix the above ingredients until you form a paste.
- Apply the mask on your face and leave it to act for 10 minutes then rinse your face with warm water.
Besides these treatments, remember that to get rid of blackheads, it’s very important to respect your daily skincare routine.
Another important thing is to respect the following steps:
- Cleanse the skin thoroughly, preferably with a lotion that contains salicylic acid, which helps to treat and to prevent blackheads. This must have an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory purpose.
- Use a toner containing totarol (from Totara tree, which is antimicrobial). This closes the pores and restores the skin’s natural pH.
- Use a moisturizer, preferably one that contains hyaluronic acid which deeply moisturizes.